Friday, March 20, 2009

Is My Soul Romanian?


Dear Kirk,
The Ipod chose "Cine Are Fata Mare" by Dona Dumitru Siminica this morning. Siminica with the suave mustache, the falsetto voice over gypsy accordian and violin. I have no idea what he's singing about. Something melancholic, something troubled, some kind of Romanian blues. I hear this music and my soul shifts within me. How can this be? I'm not Romanian. I have no nostalgia for this music and yet the plucked strings and wailing voice make me long for a time I never lived.
Soul: It's time we go to Bucharest. Drink wine with grandfather. Wine pressed by the feet of our gypsy cousins.
Me: How many times must I remind you that we have no grandfather in Bucharest, nor peasant cousins. Why must you live in dreams?
Soul: Listen to this music. Listen to your lust for blood roots. Now tell me who talks in dreams.
--Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment